Monday, July 5

six.

It's like you're watching it happen to someone else. Two unbelievable weeks. Two unforgettable, memorable, and altogether wonderful weeks... only to be forced to walk away, leaving everyone you truly love behind. And yes, I'm crying.

We'll start at the beginning.

Day 1: Consisted mainly of leaving my little Scottish home desperately excited to get to the states again. Anyone reading this will understand exactly why I needed this so badly. They'll know just how much I've looked forward to this for not only months, but near on a year. One year on, and with my trip almost behind me, I can say it truly was worth every single penny that i never should have earned. However, after two flights back-to-back, and a train ride to the middle of nowhere in New England, Massachusetts, I was finally greeted with a friendly face, a good nights rest (hah, how I joke), and a well fed stomach... though not specifically in that order.

Day 2: Even more traveling. Straight back to the airport in fact. Wherein I finally got to see one of the closest people to me - a certain Zach for those in-the-know - and travel with him out to Pittsburgh. Why?

I'm a furry. I like to do furry things. No, not animals, you idiots.

There's this convention. It's called Anthrocon. It's the biggest furry convention in the entire fucking world. And I was there. Again.

"Furfags" get the most fun.

Once in Pittsburgh, I got to meet up with another especially close person to me - A certain Richard, for those who knew about the last guy - and a mutual friend called Adam. From there, we bounded forth to Anthrocon.

The David L. Lawrence Convention Centre and Westin Hotel, Pittsburgh is in fact one of the best venues I have ever seen for a large-scale event like Anthrocon. The hotel prices are not what one would call... cheap, but lord knows It's worth it. The convention itself is also wonderful, and very accommodating to artists. Zach actually had a table where he was selling (very well priced and worth-the-money) merchandise! I was staying in the same room as (funnily enough) Richard and Zach, so it wasn't long before the beds were pushed together. More room for cuddling that way. A few preparatory things and a nice long rest, and we were ready.

Day 3: God. Where to begin? Registration happen in a blur. People upon people upon people started cramming their way into the hotel. Furries everywhere. I was in heaven. Not much happens the day before the convention aside from the opening ceremonies (which once again, I did not attend) but we entertained ourselves. Met a lot of wonderful people, friends from each and every side of the fandom, and got some lovely food in my stomach. A sleep, and then, something magical happened.

Day 4: You will all of heard of Travis by now. My invisible boyfriend, hidden from everyone I know by the internet. On this day, he arrived. And the Con get better and better and better. Waking up way too early; showering like a lame-man; bumbling around looking for breakfast; ferrying merchandise over to the dealer's room and running around buying artwork would tire anyone out. When your boyfriend arrives halfway through, you tend to catch a second wind. And god, did I.

I'll admit, i got fairly angry about certain things that day, but Travis was there to calm me down. Together, alone, we took a walk through the convention centre, out onto the balcony as the sun set over the Allegheny River, hands clasps and arms wrapped tightly around each other. Magical, truly. And yet, I have no picture. I will forever paint a picture in my mind about the night...it truly was wonderful... After our little couple-y moment, we went to see one of the fandom's comedians perform, and god damn if it wasn't good. Nothing could have spoiled that night for me. And indeed, nothing did.

Day 5: More waking up too early, but happily warmed by Travis' arms; More dumb showering, but made less awkward by Travis' presence; More fumbling for something to do for breakfast, but with Travis, Zach, and Richard with me, we'd find something. Meeting people, buying things, frittering my very little spending money away on material items which I will forever cherish. Another performance that night, this time from the chairman on the convention himself, performing his own (much fabled) stand-up routine. Ah, such is the life of a furry. Another night with Travis... and sadly, my last for a long while...

Day 6: And so, my boyfriend is forced to leave... He couldn't get time off work... I'll admit, it broke me to see him go, and there were definitely tears as I walked back to the hotel... but what time I did get to spend with him were some of the happiest moments of my life... and of course at a convention like this, there were lots...

Travis, thank you... <3

So what did I do today? Well, I tried my best to keep a brave face, and with Zach and Richard there to help me, I cheered up enough to get through the rest of the convention. This was the last official day. Tomorrow, we left for home.

Day 7: And homeward all the furs did go. Having to leave Richard was hard, let alone all the furs I had gotten to see and meet at the convention that were all scattering themselves to the winds. Another plane home with Zach... and then my second week began, with another close friend: The much talked-about, Kelly.

Day 8-13: Ah Kelly. If you're reading this, thank you so much for the good times you let me have with you. For letting me stay at your house, for shipping me from place to place to see people like Zach again, for even letting my friends come round to your home on the night of the 4th of July, you have been so kind to me. I cannot adequately give you thanks, but what thanks I have given you, I hope you cherish.

For those who weren't there: There was a lot of hanging out, one trip into Boston-proper, several days of hanging out with friends, including the Z-word, and some wonderful nights of film-watching. Through Kelly's generosity, I got to see people I've known for ages like James and Calvin, two utterly wonderful people I am so close to. I've had the chance to just kick back and enjoy what time I've had here. I've had time to let the sadness slip away, and be happy for a while...

But with all things, on this, Day 14, the sadness returns. In a few short hours I'll be on a plane back home to Scotland, and I will most likely not see these people for another year...

Travis, Zach, Richard, Tony, James, Calvin, Kelly, Sean, Adam, Nathan, Emily, and everyone else I got to see and talk to:

Thank you.

I will never forget this trip.

I will never forget you.

I love you.

Goodbye.

<3

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time! Your post is very heartwarming! Hopefully I'll get to see you soon for a nice long chat about everything :)

    ReplyDelete